Claudia E. Korcarz, D.V.M., R.D.C.S.
Senior Research Scientist and Manager, UW AIRP
Training and Experience
Dr. Korcarz received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the Universidad Nacional de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1986. After practicing equine veterinary medicine, she moved to the United States in 1988 and worked as a Cardiology Research Associate at the University of Chicago. In 1990 she became Assistant Technical Director and Manager of the Noninvasive Imaging Cardiology Laboratories at the University of Chicago Hospital and Clinics, where she provided echocardiography training to medical students, house staff and cardiology fellows and served as an instructor in adult echocardiography for the University of Chicago preceptorship program. She has been a registered diagnostic cardiac sonographer and has practiced adult echocardiography since 1994.
She came to the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in 2002, where she is a clinical cardiac sonographer in the Adult Echocardiography Laboratory, Manager of the UW AIRP, Senior Scientist in the Cardiovascular division of the School of Medicine and Public Health, and invited Instructor in the UW Ultrasound School.
Dr. Korcarz previously was on the Board of Directors of the American Society of Echocardiography (ASE), a member of its Research Committee and Sonographer Training and Education Committee, and has been a frequent speaker at the ASE Annual Scientific Sessions since 2001. She was co-chairperson of the ASE Carotid IMT Writing Group and was a member of the ASE Focused Ultrasound Guidelines Task Force. She has worked as a consultant in protocol development for the noninvasive evaluation of cardiovascular function in animal models for several pharmaceutical companies. She helped develop new techniques to evaluate cardiac function in knockout and transgenic mice models and has published training materials for murine echocardiography.
In 1992 she was awarded First Prize in the Research Poster Competition of the Illinois Chapter of the American College of Cardiology for her work "Comparison of simultaneous Doppler and electromagnetic measurements of instantaneous aortic flow characteristics in humans.
In 2002, she was the first recipient of the ASE Sonographer Research Award for her project "Noninvasive determination of global and regional arterial compliance during normal pregnancy."
In 2010 she received an NHLBI K23 award to support her research in sleep apnea entitled "Reversibility of Cardiovascular Injury with CPAP Use: Mechanisms Involved."
In 2013 she received the First Prize Sonographer Investigators Award at the ASE Annual Sessions. For her abstract "Effects of Sleep Apnea on Cardiac Remodeling in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study."
Dr. Korcarz's research interests include ultrasound assessment of atherosclerosis, vascular function, and cardiovascular physiology. She has a special interest in the effects of sleep apnea and the effect of its treatment on cardiovascular disease risk. She is co-author on more than 100 abstracts and 80 peer review articles in the field of echocardiography and vascular ultrasound.
- Korcarz CE, Padrid PA, Shroff SG, Weinert LW, Lang RM. Doppler echocardiographic reference values for healthy rhesus monkeys under ketamine hydrochloride sedation. Journal of Medical Primatology 26:287-298, 1997.
- Spencer KT, Collins K, Korcarz C, Fentzke R, Lang RM, Leiden JM. Effects of Exercise Training on Left Ventricular Performance in a Murine Model of Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Am J Physiol 279: H210-215, 2000.
- Cholley BP, Lang RM, Korcarz C, Shroff SG. Smooth muscle relaxation and local hydraulic impedance properties of the Aorta. Journal of Applied Physiology 90 (6): 2427-2438, 2001
- Fentzke RC, Korcarz CE, Shroff SG, Lin H, Leiden JM, Lang RM. The left ventricular stress-velocity relationship in transgenic mice expressing a dominant negative CREB transgene in the heart. J Am Soc of Echocardiography 14:209-18, 2001.
- Mor-Avi V, Collins KA, Korcarz CE, Shah M, Spencer KT, Lang RM. Detection of regional temporal abnormalities in left ventricular function during acute myocardial ischemia. Am J Physiol 280: H1770-H1781, 2001.
- Collins KA, Korcarz CE, Shroff SG, Bednarz JE, Fentzke RC, Lin H, Leiden JM, Lang RM. Accuracy of Echocardiographic Estimation of Left Ventricular Mass in Mice. Am J Physiol 280: H1954-H1962, 2001.
- Shah DP, Korcarz C, Spencer KT, Lang RM. Noninvasive hemodynamics of aortic insufficiency diastolic opening of the aortic valve. Echocardiography 2004;21:433-4.
- Stein JH, Merwood MA, Bellehumeur JL, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE, Underbakke GL, Mays ME, Sosman JM. The effects of pravastatin on atherogenic lipoproteins and endothelial function in patients with human immunodeficiency virus. American Heart Journal 2004; 147:e18:1-7.
- Mitchell CKC, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE. Carotid intima-media thickness testing: Technical considerations. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2004; 17:690-692.
- Aeschlimann SE, Mitchell CKC, Korcarz CE. Ultrasound brachial artery reactivity testing: Technical considerations. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2004; 17:697-699.
- Korcarz CE, Stein JH. Transthoracic assessment of coronary flow reserve: Technical considerations. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2004; 17:704-707.
- Stein JH, Korcarz CE, Mays ME, Douglas PS, Palta M, Zhang H, LeCaire T, Paine D, Gustafson D, Fan L. A semi-automated border detection program that facilitates clinical use of ultrasound carotid intima-media thickness measurements. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2005; 18:244-251.
- Bierig SM, Coon P, Korcarz CE, Waggoner AD. The research grant process: A reference guide for cardiovascular sonographers. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2005; 18:247-267.
- Mitchell C, Korcarz CE. The advantages of becoming a clinical site for ultrasound schools. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2005; 18:367-369.
- Wyman RA, Fraizer MC, Keevil JG, Busse KL, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE, Stein JH. Ultrasound-detected carotid plaque as a screening tool for advanced subclinical atherosclerosis. American Heart Journal 2005; 150:1081-1085.
- Tzou WS, Korcarz CE, Mays ME, Aeschlimann SE, Stein JH. Skin cholesterol content identifies increased carotid intima-media thickness in asymptomatic adults. American Heart Journal 2005; 150:1135-1139.
- Gepner AG, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SE, LeCaire TJ, Palta M, Tzou WS, Stein JH. Validation of a carotid intima-media thickness border detection program for use in an office setting. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2006; 19:223-228.
- Wyman RA, Keevil JG, Busse KL, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE, Stein JH. Is the ankle-brachial index a useful screening test for subclinical atherosclerosis in asymptomatic, middle-aged adults? Wisconsin Medical Journal 2006; 105:50-54.
- Gepner AD, Keevil JG, Wyman RA, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE, Busse KL, Stein JH. Use of carotid intima-media thickness and "vascular age" to modify cardiovascular risk prediction. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2006; 19:1170-1174.
- Tzou WS, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SE, Stein JH. Use of handheld ultrasound by a non-sonographer clinician to measure carotid intima-media thickness. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2006; 19:1286-1292.
- Tzou WS, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SE, Morgan BJ, Skatrud JB, Stein JH. Coronary flow velocity changes in response to hypercapnia: Assessment by transthoracic Doppler echocardiography. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2007; 20:421-426.
- Gepner AD, Wyman RA, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SA, Stein JH. An abbreviated carotid intima-media thickness scanning protocol to facilitate clinical screening for subclinical atherosclerosis. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2007; 20:1269-1275.
- Wyman RA, Gimelli G, McBride PE, Korcarz CE, Stein JH. Does detection of carotid plaque affect physician behavior or motivate patients? American Heart Journal 2007; 154:1072-1077.
- Stein JH, Korcarz CE, Hurst RT, Lonn E, Kendall CB, Mohler ER, Najjar S, Rembold CM, Post WS. Use of carotid ultrasound to identify subclinical vascular disease and evaluate cardiovascular disease risk: A consensus statement from the American Society of Echocardiography Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Task Force. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2008; 21:93-111.
- Korcarz CE, Hirsch AT, Bruce C, DeCara JM, Mohler ER, Pogue B, Postley J, Tzou WS, Stein JH. Carotid intima-media thickness testing by non-sonographer clinicians: The Office Practice Assessment of Carotid Atherosclerosis (OPACA) Study. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2008; 21:117-122.
- Rao AK, Djamali A, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SE, Wolff MR, Stein JH. Left atrial volume is associated with inflammation and atherosclerosis in patients with chronic kidney disease. Echocardiography 2008; 25:264-269.
- Rao AK, Djamali A, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SE, Wolff MR, Stein JH. Mitral annular calcification is associated with reduced left ventricular function and inflammation in patients with chronic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2008; 21:747-750.
- Korcarz CE, DeCara JM, Hirsch AT, Pogue B, Postley J, Tzou WS, Stein JH. Ultrasound detection of increased carotid intima-media thickness and carotid plaque in an office practice setting: Does it affect physician behavior or patient motivation? Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2008; 21:1156-1161.
- Johnson HM, Gossett L, Piper ME, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE, Fiore MC, Baker TB, Stein JH. Effects of smoking and smoking cessation on endothelial function: One-year outcomes from a randomized clinical trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2010; 55:1988-95.
- Korcarz CE, Gepner AD, Peppard PE, Young TB, Stein JH. The effects of sleep-disordered breathing on arterial stiffness are modulated by age. Sleep 2010; 33:1081-1085.
- Johnson HM, Einerson J, Korcarz CE, Aeschlimann SE, Stein JH. Long-term effects of carotid screening on patient outcomes and behaviors. Archives of Internal Medicine 2011; 171:589-591.
- Johnson HM, Turke TL, Grossklaus M, Dall T, Carimi S, Koenig LM, Aeschlimann SE, Korcarz CE, Stein JH. Effects of an office-based carotid ultrasound screening intervention. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2011; 24:738-747.
- Gepner AD, Ramamurthy R, Krueger DC, Korcarz CE, Binkley N, Stein JH. A prospective randomized controlled trial of the effects of vitamin D supplementation on cardiovascular disease risk. PLoS ONE 2012;7:e36617.
- Spencer KT, Kimura BJ, Korcarz CE, Pellikka PA, Rahko PS, Siegel RJ. Focused cardiac ultrasound: Recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2013;26:567-81.
- Blondon M, Sachs M, Hoofnagle AN, Ix JH, Michos ED, Korcarz C, Gepner AD, Siscovick DS, Kaufman JD, Stein JH, Kestenbaum B, de Boer IH. 25-hydroxyvitamin d and parathyroid hormone are not associated with carotid intima-media thickness or plaque in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:2639-45.
- Gepner AD, Korcarz CE, Colangelo LA, Hom EK, Tattersall MC, Astor BC, Kaufman JD, Liu K, Stein JH. Longitudinal Effects of a Decade of Aging on Carotid Artery Stiffness: The Multiethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Stroke 2014;45:48-53.
- Korcarz CE, Stein JH, Peppard PE, Young TB, Barnet JH, Nieto FJ. Combined Effects of Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Metabolic Syndrome on Endothelial Function: The Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study. Sleep 2014;37:1707-13.
This page was designed and is maintained by Nersi Nikakhtar.
May 14, 2015